Sunday, July 4, 2010

Zone Diet - July 6 to August 21

After talking it over this morning in class, FFT is going Zone starting on Tuesday July 6 (that gives everyone some time to get some meal ideas together while still celebrating the Fourth of July to it's fullest extent). Kerri, Ann, and I will be following block prescriptions with mostly Paleo food. I have 18 blocks to eat each day, Kerri 13, and Ann 12. Here is the link to the old standard: Issue 21 of the Crossfit Journal. On August 21 Kerri will be going for 2 consecutive kipping pull-ups, a goal she set for herself recently. That gives us about 7 weeks to see how things go. We are doing a more flexible zone and here are some of the tweaks as laid out on Robb Wolf's page:

Ever notice that it takes 2 cups of broccoli to make a block? Do you realize that means 8 cups of broccoli for a 4 block meal?!??! How about the greater than 50% of people who STILL get carb-head and insulin problems with the level of carbs recommended by the Zone?

1-shift upwards of 50% of the day’s carbs into the Post WO meal.

2-Delete carb blocks as needed and add 3 blocks of fat (1.5g of fat per block) to maintain caloric balance.

The details of these tweaks are laid out in Robb's Performance Menu article: 42 Ways to Skin the Zone

Training will still be the same, a mix of metcons (mostly short), skill work (the kip is quite appropriate here, as well as handstands), and Wendler 5/3/1 for the core strength movements.

Also, not to make Kerri feel alone on August 21, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and go for a 500 lb. deadlift as my goal. The penalty for not achieving your goal is 100 burpees for time. Pretty good motivation if you ask me.

So for the next 7 weeks we will be tracking our meals, workouts, and body weight. Weighing myself this morning I came in at 211.4 with 17.9% body fat.

Please feel free to jump in and join us. I will be putting many more posts up and we will all be using comments on the posts, e-mails, and text messages to keep each other up to date on our food journals. I may even start using Twitter, who knows.

I hope you enjoy following along, it should be fun.

No comments: